Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cajon and Microphone

I've been in an instrument building frenzy this summer! After completing my guitar and kalimba, I tackled a cajon. This may be my favorite one so far. I'm very pleased with how it came out, it looks and sounds great (if I do say so myself!). Rather than do a video this time, I decided to have some fun and record a song using the cajon, plus it gave me a chance to show off my new Blue Snowball Microphone. You'll find that after the pictures:



Progress picture



Completed product



Back view with sound hole



View inside with guitar string snares. Started with just 2 strings, but it didn't quite have the sound I was looking for, so I weaved some extra strings in between the original 2, using tape to keep them in contact with the sound board.



Bottom with rubber feet.

This was a really fun project, and I've already used it several times with some of my clients. To get an idea of what it sounds like, take a listen to the song I recorded below. The song is a cover of the song "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" (Orginally "Quizás, Quizás, Quizás" by Cuban song writer Osvaldo Farres, how appropriate!). I gleaned most of my inspiration from Cake's version of the song. The only instruments used in this recording were the cajon, ukulele, saxophone, vocals, and egg shaker.

2 comments:

  1. Did you record all of those parts? This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed I did, used my new Snowball mic. Really happy with the recording quality. Just set up in the middle of my room. Had I recorded in the closet or something it may have come out better, but I kind of liked the "live" sound of it.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete