Monday, April 4, 2011

SER-AMTA 11

In the last week, a number of significant events worthy of a blog post have happened and as these events pile up, the less time I have to actually blog about them. I've finished my internship, signed up to take the CBMT (in a few short weeks), started my first music therapy job, attended regional conference, and I am in the process of moving out of the place I lived during my internship. In the next few weeks, I'll also need to decide on the future direction (and name!) of this blog. So needless to say, blogging has taken a backseat.

However, I'm going to start on that mountain of topics tonight. We'll start with conference, as that is the most time sensitive topic.

This weekend, I attended the SER-AMTA (that's "South Eastern Region - American Music Therapy Association") conference in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Conference this year was great as always, but for different reasons this time around. I must say being away from my beloved school for a year made arriving at conference much more exciting. Everywhere I turned was a classmate I hadn't seen since I left. I had to ask them all about their jobs or internship plans and explain my current/future plans. It was a blast. I got to meet countless students from other schools, which was awesome as well.

This year was also the first time I got to meet many of the music therapists I know through Twitter. Last year, I was a newbie on the Twitter Train, so I didn't really get to meet anyone. This time around, I got to meet all sorts of people who I basically feel I already knew. It was fun putting faces with online persona's. Many of these people are professionals who I have a great amount of respect for, and it was really uplifting to hear their comments on my new job and completing my internship.

Finally, this was my first conference as a pseudo-professional. While I won't be taking the CBMT until the end of the month, I am now finished with my internship and, for all intents and purposes, a college graduate. As noted before, I'm also now employed (more about that later, but I'm LOVING it)! Getting to network and interact with other professional music therapists as a colleague rather than a student had a totally different feel, one that made me feel very proud and accomplished. I started my college career as a music therapy major and never changed it. That was 5 years ago. It's been a long time coming.

More posts on the way, but these are some very exciting times for me. It's a really great feeling having a strong sense of direction in your career, and I feel especially blessed to have that this early on in mine.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! It is fun to share your enthusiasm via reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a wonderful time getting to verbally talk to you in person at conference, Andrew. AND, loved reading your perspective on all of this today.

    BTW love how you mentioned the "Twitter Train"-- I immediately saw a funny video using that "c'mon ride the train" song with all the MT tweeps making train motions. hehe

    ReplyDelete