Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The power of a poster

Apologies for the short, non-music therapy related posts, but I don't officially begin my internship until Friday. I promise after that I'll have more music therapy thoughts than you can shake a boomwhacker at.

Today I had a whole day to myself. My parents left yesterday and all the roommates were at work all day. Just me, a dog, and three cats.

I only had one errand to run, so I finished my goals for the day fairly early on. This of course, led to a bit of boredom, which in turn led to a teensy-bit of homesickness (common, who can blame me? My brother and all my closest friends live 5 hours away, my girlfriend 7 hours, and my parents 8 hours.)

So I decided to stay busy and continue the room set up. One of the first things I decided to do was put up a poster. But not just any poster. Oh no. The 2010 Florida State Football poster. (which, by the way, they completely ran out of. I only have one thanks to my awesome-former-boss Lisa. Shout-out!) Right away, I felt better.

Now, you could blame my borderline unhealthy obsession with all things FSU for this, and you'd be partially correct. But more than that, I think the familiarity of the poster made me feel so much more at home and comfortable. Here I was with a million things running through my head about loved ones, my internship, finances, etc. and the poster served as my therapy for the day. A piece of home to hold onto.

So the lesson (or "transfer" if you'd like) for the day, fellow interns, is to never underestimate the power of the poster. Or perhaps it's not a poster for you, but some other piece of home that brings you comfort. Putting something in your living quarters that you had back home can be a big boost to your morale. And my recommendation is to put it up right away. Nothin' beats home, so bring home with you.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you define your day in terms of which goals you met and which lessons you transfered. I do the same thing! As I'm sure, most MTs do.

    P.S. You are indeed the biggest Seminole fan I've met.

    ReplyDelete