Sunday, September 12, 2010

Website Recommendation

Today I wanted to introduce the first in a series I plan on continuing throughout the next seven months of blog, websites, and other online resources that I enjoy and find helpful. I'm going to have to think of a more catchy title than "Website Recommendation" however. I could always borrow from Stephen Colbert with the "Colbert Bump", but somehow "Littlefield Bump" just doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Oh well.

First up is fellow FSU Music Therapy Intern Michelle Strutzel! Michelle and I have been in the same classes for years, and she's now in the middle of her internship in Tallahassee. She is the author of "Beyond The Music", an excellent blog full of song and activity ideas. Michelle was kind enough to answer a few questions about her blog and internship for me:

Name/Name of Blog:

Internship site:
Tallahassee Memorial Hospital Behavioral Health Center

Blog description:
Beyond the Music is a resource for music therapy students, interns, and professionals. It provides activity ideas and information relevant and adaptable to a variety of populations.

What drew you to music therapy?
It was by chance that I discovered the field of music therapy. I first came to FSU wanting to be a performance major. When I learned about music therapy through some fellow classmates at the College of Music, I quickly changed my major within two months of my freshman year. I think I was in a place in my life where I really wanted to reach out to others and help someone other than myself. With this and music as my priorities, music therapy seemed like a perfect subject to study. I have loved it from my very first Introduction to Music Therapy class.


Biggest lesson you've learned so far?
The biggest lesson I have learned is that there is always more to a person or situation than what first meets the eye. It is a challenge I face everyday to assess where a patient is at mentally. A music therapist has to be able to recognize how a patient is functioning and why it is they're functioning that way, then develop a way to improve that level of functioning. In trying to understand people's behavior, I am beginning to realize now why we are called Therapists and not simply Musicians.

Best non-MT related lesson learned so far?
Everybody needs a healthy set of coping skills. In the psychiatric population, we teach a lot about coping skills, which are techniques we use to handle difficult situations. In your career and in life, the best way to manage stress is to engage in activities you enjoy. I leave my work at work, then go home to be with my family, ride my bike, swim, or read a book.

Why should people read your blog?
People should read my blog to expand their repertoire of songs and activities related to the music therapy field.

There you have it folks! In case you missed the first two links, you can find Michelle's blog at www.beyondthemusic.blogspot.com Give it a read!

2 comments:

  1. Andrew, you're awesome! Thank you for the post. I really enjoy reading your blog (and not just when you post about me! lol). I can't wait to see how your internship goes. This is such a great way to keep in touch and see how you're doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your's as well! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete