Friday, October 1, 2010

The Whole Day Through

One of the great and therapeutic things about music is that it means so many different things to so many people. What one person hears as total noise, another hears as soothing music. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say something "isn't music." That usually means they don't like it or don't understand it (Sadly, hip-hop and metal are the most frequent victims of this close mindedness, in my experience). It's art! If someone says it's music, than it's music! John Cage wrote a piece entitled "4'33"", and it is literally 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence. Guess what? It's music. Why? Because he said it is. My brother loves this band called Lightning Bolt. I can't stand them. But I would never go as far as to say it's not music, because music is art, and it can be whatever people want it to be.

However, there is one indisputable fact in the music world. Something that is not open to debate, i's just the truth. And it is this:

The state of Georgia has THE BEST state song in the U.S. In case you're unfamiliar, it's "Georgia On My Mind" made famous by the great Ray Charles.

Now I hear what you're saying: "But Andrew! What about my state's song?" Sorry, "Georgia On My Mind" blows it out of the water. This is coming from a proud Floridian, and Georgia's song most definitely is better than my home state's anthem.

If you live in Indiana, you can take solace in knowing that your state's song is a solid 2nd place, but that's mostly because of the awesome tradition it's part of.

So kudos to you, Georgia, my temporary home. You nailed it. Now I'm off to the Braves game! Beat the Phillies!

2 comments:

  1. Apologies to commenter "Karli", but for some reason Blogger keeps giving me an error when I try to publish your comment. Karli pointed out to me that "Georgia On My Mind" was actually written by Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell. Duly noted, thanks Karli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew! Great site so far. Just thought I'd show you the rightful winner of the new FL state song...Tally's own Charles Atkins. I remember hearing him play this live during a band practice with him and it almost brought me to tears. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-rsalIHM9o

    -Shane

    ReplyDelete